In executive coaching, career coaching, life coaching, health & wellness coaching – the first encounter between the coach and potential coachee is often at the ‘Chemistry Meeting’.
Besides the personal chemistry between the coach and the coachee, there can be a wide range of exploration that can be done in the meeting to establish the likelihood that the working relationship will have a good chance of success.
Typically, the following may be discussed during a chemistry call:
- Introduction and purpose of the meeting
- Guidelines for confidentiality of the meeting and the coaching
- What the client and the coach have been told by the client’s manager and others about the purpose and objectives of the coaching
- The client’s perceived needs and desired outcomes of the coaching
- Questions from the client about the coach and how the client would be coached
- Readiness and motivation of the client for coaching at this time in his life and work
- The client’s preferences and requirement in coaching and in a coach
- How the coach works and customisation available for the client
- Conducting a live coaching session in-the-moment during the meeting to see how it might work with the client
- Debriefing the meeting and see how the coach and client feel about the chemistry and the coaching
- Agreeing on next steps and follow-up